Healthy Summer Desserts
19 de septiembre de 2022
The saying "you can’t have your cake and eat it too” is put to the test with these refreshing summer dessert recipes. While many sweet treats feature high sugar and calorie counts, these mouthwatering options use ingredient substitutes to satisfy your sweet tooth while contributing to a balanced diet.
Trust us when we say that taste hasn’t been sacrificed with these healthy treats. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised that the flavor is on par with, or exceeds, your favorite classics.
Ready to hold on to the last taste of summer? Join Andria Herron, dietary educator with Renown’s Health Heart Program, as she walks through each recipe, sharing healthy pro-tips along the way!
Very Berry Ice Cream
- Course: Dessert, Dairy-Free
- Cuisine: American
- Servings 8 - 1/2 cup servings
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup strawberries (frozen)
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen)
- 1 cup raspberries (frozen)
- 1/4 cup apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- At least 4 hours prior to serving, peel and slice bananas. Seal in a plastic bag and freeze.
- Just before serving, put frozen berries and bananas in food processor. Pulse fruit and add soy milk to desired consistency.
- Freeze what you don't eat in individual servings for future ready-to-go breakfasts.
- Explore different combinations of frozen fruits.
- Using mangoes is a refreshing summer variation.
- Course: Dairy-Free, Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Servings Serves 4 - 1/2 cup servings
- 1/2 cup Hershey unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated Splenda
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces extra firm silken tofu
- Combine cocoa powder, Splenda® and warm water in a stainless-steel bowl. The mixture should resemble a fudge-like consistency.
- In a food processor, blend tofu for 1 minute. Add fudge and vanilla extract, and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes or more, if possible, to let the mousse "fluff-up" as it cools.
- Add 1/2 cup of frozen unsweetened black cherries to the mixture in the food processor for a "Chocolate Covered Cherry" dessert option.
- Garnish with a dollop of fat free yogurt, a fresh raspberry and mint leaf for a dessert worthy of company.
- For variation, add mint, orange, and/or ginger juice to replace water when blending.