Avoid Heat Exhaustion With This Simple Checklist
10 de julio de 2022
Young children under 4 and adults over 65 are especially vulnerable to heat exhaustion. Avoid heat exhaustion this summer with some expert tips.
Northern Nevada summers can be downright hot, and although the balmy temperatures can feel great, they may cause heat-related illness, also known as heat exhaustion.
Infants and children under 4 and adults over 65 are particularly vulnerable to heat exhaustion because their bodies adjust to heat more slowly.
Without proper intervention, heat exhaustion can progress to heat stroke, which can damage the brain and other vital organs and even cause death.
The Warning Signs of Heat Exhaustion
- Heavy sweating
- Elevation of body temperature
- Muscle cramps
- Tiredness, weakness, dizziness
- Dolor de cabeza
- Náuseas o vómitos
- Cool and moist skin
- Fast and weak pulse
- Fast and shallow breathing
Heat stroke happens when the body’s temperature rises rapidly and the body loses its ability to sweat.
The Symptoms of Heat Stroke
- Body temperatures rising to 106 degrees or higher within 10 to 15 minutes
- Red, hot and dry skin (no sweating)
- Rapid, strong pulse
- Throbbing headache
- Dizziness or nausea
Prevention and Treatment
- Make sure your air conditioner works
- Stay indoors and drink plenty of fluids
- Limit strenuous outdoor activities to mornings and evenings
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Do outdoor activities in the shade and wear light, loose clothing
- Take plenty of breaks and drape a wet bandanna around your shoulders to cool down
If you suspect you or someone else is headed toward heat exhaustion or heat stroke, call 911 immediately.
Three Things to Know About the Enhanced Benefits of Renown’s New Medicare ProgramRenown Health recently announced that it has contracted with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) on a new program that offers enhanced Medicare benefits for Medicare beneficiaries. This new direct contracting Medicare progrLeer más
Departamento destacado: EmergenciasEl Departamento de Emergencias es una parte central de los hospitales de Renown Health. Serving patients in need of emergent attention, this team has an incredible level of dedication to not only tending to emergencies big and small, but also saving livesLeer más
Explore nuestros servicios de saludExplore todos los serviciosExplore nuestros servicios de salud